I am a runner. tail bone started hurting. No pain while doing exercise. Chances of having pilonidal disease?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I am a long distance runner. Recently, my tail bone has started to hurt - when I sit, sneeze, or palpate. Initially, I was concerned about having pilonidal disease, but there is no redness, or obviously inflammed area on the skin - and the pain feels directly related to the bone. This is new and unusual for me - I had no fall or trauma. I do exercise frequently - no pain with that. I am a 41 year old female, otherwise healthy. Any ideas?
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
These symptoms are suggestive of coccydynia caused by inflammation of the coccyx bone. The symptoms are generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area.

Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms:

1) Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

2) Take adequate rest and apply cold compresses, avoid re-injury to the affected area and take some antiinflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac. Some severe cases with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx.

3) You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.

4) Also eat a high fiber diet foods to soften stools and avoid constipation.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.