I am a runner. Having pain in leg, painful to walk. What muscle did I pull or tear?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 41 years old, I have been avid runner since age of 13. I run 4-5 miles 4 days a week. I have pain in left leg only, quad ,fron thigh,groin area. Its painful walk I limp, I cant lift leg out of my car without using my arms. I took 6 days off of running,I tried to ru. Yesterday and cant, pain is horrible,even few steps. I was able to excersize on stairclimber no pain & Elliptical machine.What muscle did I pull or tear?
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The pain in the groin while walking with no pain on using a stairclimber or elliptical machine is suggestive of a muscle or tendon injury. These symptoms can be due to-
1. Muscle strain and tear - Usually due to overwork and overstretching of the muscles. Recent increase in leg exercises may cause these. Gradual increase in exercise and pain killers with mild diabetes usually. There is acute pain associated with it. You can get your blood glucose levels checked.

3. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked.

4. Prolonged intake of hormonal therapy like oral pills or HRT might cause this.
All these causes can be ruled out after a careful examination from an orthopedician and investigations like MRI scan of the affected area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: I am a runner. Having pain in leg, painful to walk. What muscle did I pull or tear? 2 hours later
The pain is severe from hip butticks area to front thigh quad, groin this entire region , I was able to still run with some pain 6 days ago which got better as I rab. I took 6 days of, now I am worse,unable to run at all, walking with limp so painful
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
From your description, muscle spasm seems to be a likely cause but exact diagnosis can be made only after a detailed clinical examination.
For symptomatic relief, you can take a mild anti inflammatory like ibuprofen along with a strong muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside. Doing a hot fomentation will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.