I am a renal transplant patient. Had unprotected sex. Can I take contraceptive pill to avoid pregnancy?

I had unprotected sex with my husband on last day of my period, and i am a renal transplant patient. I had my transplant 2 years before and my mother was the donor. before transplant i had a polyp which disintegrated by taking oral medicine. What should i do to avoid pregnancy and can i take oral contraceptive pills and which one? please help
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Since you had an unprotected sex with your husband on the last day of your periods, the chances of pregnancy are less.

The emergency contraceptive like Plan B can prevent an unwanted pregnancy but it should be taken within 24 hours of the unprotected intercourse for best results.

If it has been more than 72 hours since you had sex then you will have to wait for your periods and in case the periods are late, test your urine for pregnancy.

If the pregnancy test is positive then medical termination of pregnancy can be planned under the guidance of your gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: I am a renal transplant patient. Had unprotected sex. Can I take contraceptive pill to avoid pregnancy? 6 hours later
it has not been 24 hours but the problem is i am already taking immunosuppresives so will contraceptive pills not affect my grafted kidney. Which pill should i take in such situation.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

You can take the emergency contraceptives while taking immunosuppressants for a renal graft.
There are dozens of brands of emergency contraceptive pills (also known as "morning after pills" or "day after pills") around the world.

You can ask for Postinor 2 or Plan B one- step or next choice from your nearest pharmacist.
For, Plan B one-step, you must take 1 tablet as soon as possible. Alternatively, if you choose Next Choice, then you need to take the 2 pills together.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.