I am a quadriplegic and feeling light headed. How to overcome this problem?

I am quadrapelegic for 46 years since 11 years old now 56. Have been light headed for 1 week now.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for your question,
Lightheadedness, often dizziness is a common symptom. Diagnosis depends on the mode of presentation, severity, causing factors and alleviating factors. One of the commonest causes of this symptom is low blood pressure, which leads to a decrease in blood supply to the brain. This can be associated to excess in take of a drug used for high blood pressure, sever anemia, fluid loss due to diarrheoa or excessive urination in diabetes.
Other causes like pathologies could also give a sensation of being lightheaded. A physical examination by your family physician could help in orienting towards the cause, and eliminating common causes like low blood pressure. At times in some cases, a neurologist could be of help prescribing specific paraclinical exams that are very important in the diagnosis.
I suggest you get an appointment first with your response, you might either be sent to be seen by a neurologist or at times cardiologist, depending on the clinical orientation.
Hope this helps as I shall be glad in making further suggestions if need be.
thanks and best regards,