I am a meth user. Started pain in lower back. Should I be concerned about kidney failure?

Hello, I smoked Meth about 5 times within the last 17 hours. first time around 5pm and last time around 4am. So it's been 6 hours since I last smoked. I now have a pain in my lower back. I'm concerned about Kidney Failure. Should I be concerned or will it go away? I'm a male, 38yr, 5'7", 150#. Before yesterday last time I smoked was 2 days ago. I had never done it until this week XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Methylamphetamine is a Central Nervous Stimulant that acts on brain chemicals like Norepinephrine, dopamine, etc. Pain in lower back may be because of the stimulant action.

Kidney failure or kidney problems present with flank pain. The other features of kidney failure are pedal edema, decreased urination, etc.

A simple blood test by estimating blood level of urea and creatinine can reasonably indicate whether such issues are there or not. Though in your case it does not seem to be the case. Moreover as it is highly addictive, may be a good idea to remain away from such drugs

Hope this answer would be helpful. I am available for further discussion

Good luck!!!
Follow-up: I am a meth user. Started pain in lower back. Should I be concerned about kidney failure? 6 hours later
Thank you for the answer. I have been drinking water but not urinating as much as I thought I would for the amount i'm drinking. I just went to the bathroom and the urine is definitely darker than normal, a little darker than as if I'd taken vitamins but I actually haven't. my extremities are not swollen though. could it still be the Kidneys?
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 18 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

If you are sure that the urine output is clearly decreased than the total water intake (compared to your previous period) and you are not sweating excessively (alternative means of water loss from body), then it may be a wise idea to do a simple blood test of measuring "blood urea and serum creatinine" which will assess the status of your kidney functioning.

Reduced urine output can indicate a renal disease. The aforementioned test will rule out the possibility.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for further discussion

Wish you a good health,