I am HIV positive. How long does CD4 takes to grow?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
SIR I M EFFECTIVE THRU HIV VIRUS. I AM HIV POSITIVE, MY CD4 122. I SATARTED MEDICIENE BEFORE 5 DAYS. SO I WANT KNOW MY CD4 GROW HOW MUCH TIME.
MY NAME XXXXXXX XXXXXXX AGE 40 LIVE IN DELHI.
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, CD4 count is an indicator of body immune mechanism. Its level when decreased below 200 it indicates presence of Pneumocystis pneumonia. When it decreases lower than 75 it indicates presence of Mycobacterium avium complex. Cytomegalovirus is also a possible source of infection.

From the above discussion, it is advised to consult your treating doctor for appropriate management of the above infective conditions if present.

Now, after starting medication, it will take 2 to 8 weeks for increase in the CD4 count. It varies person to person and depends on the response of these drugs. You can consult with your treating doctor about repeat CD4 count after 1 month of the medication.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.