I am B.P. and diabetes patient. How much salt should I take per day in a food?

I am B.P. / heart attack /diabetes patient. please suggest me regarding how much salt we take per day with food.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Thanks for your question.

I just read your problems and also see the attached picture of yours,probably during your hospital admitted days due to stroke.

In general person without increase BP the WHO recommendation is to take 5 gms of salt (Nacl).

But in your cases as you have hypertension and one attack of stroke already happened so strict salt restriction is essential.

There is no rule for that.But in case like you we advise to take 2-3 gms of table salt (Nacl) per day in foods.Don't take plain salt during eating and by 2-3 gms means it is the total table salt you can take in a day if you by chance take some plain salt during food then reduce the amount of salt used during cooking food but the combined amount should be 2-3 gms.

Don't take any food having high salt content like tinned food,food with color and preservative.

Now for your knowledge i would just like to tell that An excessive salt intake can be a contributory cause in high blood pressure.
Eating too much salt can lead to "hardening of the arteries" (arteriosclerosis) which in turn may be one cause of high blood pressure. The artery walls thicken and become less flexible, resulting in increased pressure as the blood pumps against the resistance of the thickened, toughened artery walls.

Consult a nutritionist for proper calculation of salt and calories of diet which is very important as you are also diabetic.

Would you like to know anything else?please feel free to ask me.

Best Wishes,

Dr Sourav Ganguly