I am 71, female & diagnosed several years ago with

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am 71, female & diagnosed several years ago with a hiatal hernia. I manage that simply by eating slowly & carefully.......which is also a very good technique for weight loss, happily. However, I frequently get hiccups & the frequency & intensity has increased quite a bit in the past 6months +/-. Is this a serious problem or just another benefit of aging?
Posted Sun, 3 Dec 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Baclofen 10 mg sos would be very helpful(prescription medicine).

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

The exact mechanism underlying hiccups remains unknown. They can result from abnormalities of both the central and peripheral nervous systems. But unless and until they are intracable i dont think they are serious or need evaluation etc.
Easy way is whenever you feel like having hiccups take baclofen 10 mg stat or twice daily.
If hiccups responds to it it can be taken on sos basis.
However even if after using medication problem increases over months then an evaluation if central and peripheral nervous system can be done by a neurlogist.

Age is the biggest enemy of humans.As our age progresses our healthy cells their merabolism regeneration etc all are hampered.
So mild to moderate problem is usually age related and can be taken care of by proper medication.
Hope in was helpful dear.
Thanks!