I am 70 year's old. Having severe pain in scrotum after sexual intercourse. How to get relief from pain?

Question
I am 70 years old man and after sexual intercourse I have severe pain in my scrotum which persists for a couple of minutes and then generally disappears. Do you know what is the cause? Is it a feature of the aging process or should I seek medical help? Can I do anything to elimiante this pain?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later

Persistent and severe testicular pain after sexual activity is associated with torsion of testis - a medical emergency. But since you report transient pain which disappear on its own and recur again, this is not a medical emergency.

Now what could be causing this - The most common explanation is abdominal pressure on the structures of inguinal canal. Any strenuous activity such as sexual intercourse can increase pressure in the inguinal canal (groin). And as gonadal blood vessels pass through here, the pressure can cause transient obstruction of blood resulting in pain. Pain disappears gradually with release of pressure.

Age related atherosclerosis of gonadal blood vessel can be contributing to this pain.

Other possible explanations are referred pain from other abdominal source (due to similar pathology) / prostate problem. We also cannot rule out varicocele getting aggravated by sexual intercourse or epididymitis.

Such transient episodes of pain are not typical of serious cancers though.

A detailed examination and test such as abdominal and scrotal ultrasound as well as Doppler scans are entailed to identify the exact cause. A competent urologist can streamline the aforementioned tests. You may consult him whenever feasible. If the tests come normal, then I do not think we need to worry about this or treat it.

Hope I have provided you the necessary information pertaining to this problem. Let me know if you need any more information.

Wish you good health

Dr.Prasad