I am 63 year old female, in good shape,etc I

Question
I am 63 year old female, in good shape,etc I tore my 2 menicus in my right knee and had surgery, prp, and lots of pt in addition to going to the gym on a regular basis. None of these procedures helped. I still can not walk a that far, let alone jog,etc without my knee feeling quite strained and tired (no intense pain). My new ortho would like to give me knee injections of orthovisc? I do not like taking any kind of steroid, drugs,etc Your counsel please?
Thanks, Jamie
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is similar to an agent that is normally found in the joint spaces

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Orthovisc is not a steroid so you would not have to worry about the potential effects that can occur with steroids.

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) is similar to the hyaluronic acid that is normally found in the joint spaces.
It can act as a lubricant or padding/cushion in the joint spaces

Your doctor is hoping that they would have this effect in your joints, act as a cushion/padding, therefore minimizing the pain that you are experiencing.

The main possible effects would be initial pain at the injection site as well as initial swelling ,bruising, firmness

Since you had surgery and have been exercising with little relief, you should consider the injection to see if it would help you.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions