I am 51 years old. Started light periods after 6 month. Any suggestion?

I'm 51 soon to be 52. I went about 6 months with out a period and started my period 3 week ago. It lasted about a week and then came back. It is very light but just won't go away. Any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

It seems like you are in post-menopausal age group. However, your period restarted again 3 weeks ago and has returned back.

It could be possible that one of the eggs was left over in your ovary which has been released now. A onetime occurrence within a month is still fine.

If your cycles repeat and you continue to have periods irregularly, then it needs further evaluation.

I would like to know about your about your parity i.e. the number of living children of yours, and if there is an associated post-coital bleed. I would also like to know if you smoke.

Do let me know these details; it will help me in suggesting you better.

It is ideal to get a PAP smear done, please consult your Gynaecologist and get this done, if possible.

As of now, I do not think you need medications for this.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: I am 51 years old. Started light periods after 6 month. Any suggestion? 21 hours later
Thanks for your response.

I have 2 children. 18 and 20. both girls. I don't have any health issues and i have never smoked. Up until menopuse started i was alway regular with my pweriods like a clock. I had a pap smear about 5 months ago and everything was normal.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

It seems like all is fine with you. I am glad that you had no health issues in the past, you never smoked and you have two daughters. This almost rules out anything like endometrial cancer.

Your PAP smear was normal, that's a great news too. It rules out cervical cancer.

In my opinion, the period started most probably as an imbalance in your hormones. It can get corrected b itself soon or you can probably go in for progesterone pills for some time now.

I do not think your symptoms should cause any major harm to you.

I hope to have answered your query. If you have no more queries, please accept my answer and write a review.

I wish you good health.