I am 48 years old and overweight. Sensitive and painful nipple. On antidepressants. What's going on?

Infertility Specialist
i am 48yrs old and although overweight i am in good health,the past week my nipples are extreemly sensitive and painful.i have had a hysterectomy 20 yrs ago.i am on antidepressants.can you help with an explination as to why so sore..
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later

The nipple soreness can be attributed to 2 causes.

1) With increasing age the hormone called estrogen gets reduced and nipples tend to become sore occasionally in such estrogen deficient state in some women. You can use local application of estrogen creams to the nipple for better results.

2) The soreness could be a feature of acute inflammation of nipples. We can suspect inflammation here if you also have physical signs such as cracked nipples, redness, and discharge associated with the soreness.
Such inflammatory conditions usually are self resolving. However if it doesn't resolve in a week, physical consultation with a competent surgeon is warranted for adequate treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.