I am 48 years old. Feeling sleepy. What is causing this feeling?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am a 48 yr old woman, lately I find that I am quite sleepy and its very unusual
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Excessive sleepiness can be a sign of an underlying health problem like thyroid disorder , stress & depression, sleep apnoea, or a peri menopausal symptom.
The best way to confirm the diagnosis would be to get yourself evaluated by your doctor. The doctor after a thorough clinical history and examination can determine the cause and start appropriate treatment . Sometimes sleepiness can be a sideffect of any medications taken by you . Kindly mention if you have any related medical problems or ongoing treatment .
As a average an healthy adult can sleep about 6- 9 hours sometimes extending to 12 hours in rare cases .more important is the quality of sleep which should be restorative , a fragmented or irregular sleep schedule can cause excessive daytime sleepiness and fatigue.
If there is no problems in sleeping or feeling refreshed after sleep , then a medical problem like hypothyroidism should be tested for by a simple blood test ( free t3, t4, Tsh) .
Hope I have answered your query .
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.