I am 43 years old. Trying to get pregnant. What should I do to increase my chances?

I am 43 and I want to get pregnant, I have a 16 year old. Anything I can do to increase my chances
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

As I am sure you are aware, there may some increased difficulty getting pregnant, and there is also an increased risk of miscarriage. That being said, the odds are still greatly in your favor of having a healthy pregnancy.

The first thing that will dramatically increase your chances would be detecting ovulation and trying to have intercourse around that time. Here are the bullet points:

1. The first day of your cycle is cycle day#1
2. Most women ovulate (produce an egg) on cycle day#14
3. Mid-cycle, there a surge in a hormone called LH that is associated with ovulation and can be detected using an ovulation detection kit bought at your local drug store
4. With ovulation you might also notice a small amount of pain
5. With ovulation you might also notice a thinning and clearing of the cervical mucus / discharge
6. With ovulation, mid-cycle, some women have a very small amount of spotting related to a brief drop in estrogen levels - this is normal
7. Start having intercourse on cycle day #10, and every other day for one week
8. Schedule a visit with your OB/GYN for pre-conception counseling on risks associated with your age.
9. Start a prenatal vitamin

I hope this answered your question. If you have additional questions, please ask. If we are finished, please leave feedback for me! Good luck!!