Ask a Dentist   »  

I am 32 year old male having a spot on the base of my tongue beside the frenulum

Hi, I'm a 32 year old male and I have a spot on the base of my tongue beside the frenulum. I noticed it on the 18th and I'm not sure if it's gotten bigger but it doesn't seem to have gotten smaller. It's changed color a little since then but I've been touching it with my tongue about a dozen times a day. I've been a smoker for 12 years and have quite recently since finding this.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: ulcerated lesion Detailed Answer: Hello there, Welcome to HCM, I have gone through all the pictures you have attached and the signs you have mentioned in your query, the lesion below your tongue seems to be red and ulcerated. It is cystic in nature and appears like a fluid filled blister or a boil. Appearance of such ulcerated areas on the oral mucosa like tongue mucosa indicates inflammation . Recurrent trauma to the tongue may lead to formation of ulcers or It may be caused due to several reasons like deficiency or certain vitamins especially vitamin B12 and vitamin C. start with multivitamin supplements and vitamin C lozenges for 7 to 10 days which will help in resolving the problem. avoid alcohol , carbonated drinks , tobacco chewing and smoking as these may worsen the area affected. Apply oral antiseptic ,analgesic ointments like dentogel or mucogel topically over the affected area. This is the primary treatment since the lesion is acute and not chronic. If the symptoms do not resolve after 2 weeks better to go for clinical examination by an oral surgeon and biopsy of the tissue if needed. But first i would advise you to go for symptomatic treatment . i hope this helps, take care. dr.farah XXXXXXX