I am 28 years old. Facing problem related to decision making. What should I do?

Hi I am 28 years old, and facing problem related decision making. I take too much time to make a decision (like asking a question to someone even to a friend or parents or anyone) and I always tend to ask others about what to I depend on others most of the time for supporting me. I have observed a mood swings in my behavior at a moment I am at my highest moral and after an hour or so its at lowest sometime its just five minutes or even less. I often find myself not able to be firm on my decision, and I am now hesitant to take any. It's affecting my personal and professional life. what should I do ?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     If your problem is for many years then there is possibility of having Dependent Personality in your case. For treatment in person multiple counseling sessions is needed from trained psychologist for problem solving, cognitive behavior therapy and life skill training.
•     Anxiety or Depressive disorder: If your problem is few months duration. It may lead to loss of confidence and poor decision making. It need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist
•     Combination of Dependent personality and Anxiety or Depressive disorder
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use: so stop use if present.
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done

Final message to you: Do not worry about symptoms, follow above advice, stop substance use if any and take multi vitamins.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: I am 28 years old. Facing problem related to decision making. What should I do? 9 hours later
To whom should I approach for getting counseling sessions for cognitive behavior therapy and life skill training. I live in XXXXXXX (Mumbai) . Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

In Mumbai you can visit XXXXXXX GS medical college.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.