Ask a Dentist   »  

I am 26 years old. I grind teeth while sleeping. What treatment should be done?

I am 26 Years Old. I ll Grind Teeth while sleeping. pls help
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 29 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

Teeth grinding also known as bruxism is more of a habit rather than a medical problem. The habit can start during childhood, a stressful event or a traumatic injury, etc. and continues throughout life.
This habit is common and it is difficult to stop.

In the initial stages one can treat this condition by treating the cause, however at a later stage perhaps as in you, a cure is difficult. If the cause is still associated, it needs to be identified and treated before we go on to address this teeth grinding per se.

To overcome this habit there are some tips which may be helpful,
1. Manage stress adequately.
2. Go for worm treatment - worm infestation may sometimes be related to bruxism.
3. Keep night guard in the mouth made up of plastic or acrylic. This can be prepared with the help of your dentist.
4. Do heat application on your jaws.
5. Take warm water bath before going to bed as this will relax your jaw muscles.

Along with these measures, if the problem is affecting you, I encourage you to consult a psychiatrist. Habit modifying therapies can be started to address the problem.

Hope I answered your query. If you have any further query, please ask; I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health