I am 23 years old. Have calcium deficiency and getting knee pain. What should I do to lose weight?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, my height is 5'2 and my weight is 70 kg.I am 23 years old.I want to loose weight fast.I am prone to calcium deficiency since childhood if i dont go for milk,I have tried gym for 6 months but it didnt work out because on exercising i get knee pain in right knee.Kindly tell me what should i do for my weight control and knee pain.even if i sit in a posture for long time,my knee starts acheing.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

As per your height/sex/age, your ideal weight should be 57kgs. You can be near to 60kgs. Therefore, its just 10 kgs you have to lose.

1.     Have high fiber diets - XXXXXXX leafy vegetables-cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, turnip, wheat bread, beans, peas, lentils, fruits-apple, rasberry, barley, corn & oats.

Have corn/oats/wheat bread as breakfast,
Have beans, peas, lentils with XXXXXXX leafy vegetables included in lunch,
Have a light dinner with lot of vegetables/fruits.
Drink lot of water.

2. Exercises: Swimming is the best exercise for both your knee & to lose weight. If your knee hurts more, then you can switch over the exercises to back / abdomen to lose the fat.

3. Since you are giving history of calcium deficiency since childhood, you can get examined clinically with your doctor and undergo blood tests - Serum calcium, phosporus, Alkaline phosphatase & PTH levels. Discuss with your doctor.

4. Additional intake of Dry fruits, milk, cheese, and yogurt has lot of calcium.

5. Whenever you feel hungry or before having food drink at least 2 full glasses of water and then have your meals. This is to decrease your total amount of food you take per meal.

6. Eating slowly and chewing good, increases your blood glucose levels and thereby helps in fulfilling your hunger even with small amount of food.

Losing weight of 2 kg per month i.e. (0.5kg per week or around 1% of your body weight per week) is good for health. Losing weight faster will be deleterious also. Lose gradually, without much fluctuation, so that your body gets adapted to your new dietary habits and calorie balance.

Hope this answers your query.