I HAVE HAD A SHARP PAIN ON THE RIGHT SIDE

Urologist
Question
I HAVE HAD A SHARP PAIN ON THE RIGHT SIDE JUST BELOW THE WAIST FOR SEVERAL DAYS. I WENT TO THE DOCTOR. HE SUSPECTED APPENDICITIS AND SENT ME TO THE ER. THEY DID A C-SCAN AND BLOOD WORK. EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL--THE KIDNEYS, APPENDIX, LIVER, NO UTI. ALL WAS FINE EXCEPT THEY DID FIND THAT MY WHITE BLOOD CELLS WERE ELEVATED BUT SAID NOT ENOUGH TO BE CONCERNED. TODAY THE DOCTOR ORDERED A T-SPINE XRAY (I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THAT IS) SAYING THAT SOMETIMES BACK PROBLEMS GENERATE TO THE SIDE. STRANGE THING WAS THE XRAY WAS TARGETED MORE TOWARD THE MIDDLE UPPER PART OF MY BACK. THE DOCTOR TOOK ANOTHER URINE SPECIMENT AND SAID HE WAS TO DO A CULTURE. HE NOW WANTS TO DO SOME SORT OF TEST WHEREBY XXXXXXX IS INSERTED IN AN IV TO SEE IF MY INTESTINES ARE WORKING. I HAVE NO BOWEL PROBLEMS AT ALL I WONDER WHAT IS GOING ON AND WHAT HE IS THINKING.
I CANNOT AFFORD ALL OF THESE TEST UNLESS HE CAN ASSURE ME WE ARE GOING TO LEARN SOMETHING. i DO HAVE SOME ARTHRITIS AND BACK PROBLEMS. THANKS
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 51 minutes later
welcome to the forum.
Abdominal cavity is traditionally called magic box because diagnosis of problems arising from the structures in the abdomen like small and large intestine, kidneys, female XXXXXXX genital organs can be very difficult.
If i were to treat you, i would focus on examining you clinically again to check for any clues as to the organ of possible origin of the pain.
Did your doc rule out femoral or inguinal hernia, just an example of pain in that area.
Get reexamined and take it from there.
If the pain occurs again, i think it is worth proceeding with the tests.
Otherwise, it is ok to wait.
Best regards

Follow-up: I HAVE HAD A SHARP PAIN ON THE RIGHT SIDE 8 hours later
Is it possible that the problem is my appendix. Every symptom I read is exactly what I have even down to the loss appetite with mild nausea at times. There is severe pain when the doctor presses on my stomach and the white cell count is elevated. Is there a chance that in spite of the ct scan showing the appendix to be normal that the problem could still be that organ?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 16 minutes later
Welcome back.
It could well be that the appendix is the cause, though the pain site is a little low.
The other symptoms and signs point to the appendix though.
In such situations, surgeons perform what is called diagnostic laparoscopy to look at the intestines and remove the appendix if nothing else is found.
Hope this helps.
Wish you best health.