I HAVE A FRIEND WHO'S KINDA SLOUGHING OFF HIS DIABETES

Endocrinologist
Question
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO'S KINDA SLOUGHING OFF HIS DIABETES, HE JUST FOUND OUT HIS BLOOD SUGAR WAS 167 AND DIDN'T THINK IT WAS HIGH BUT HIS DOCTOR PUT HIM ON METAFORM. I TOLD HIM HE HAD TO TAKE THIS VERY SERIOUS. MY QUESTION IS 167 RELATIVELY HIGH, MEDIUM OR JUST ENOUGH THAT THE DOCTOR IS TAKING THIS SERIOUSLY AND WHERE WOULD YOU RATE HIS BLOOD SUGAR
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
His blood sugar is not too high.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

167 mg/dl can not be considerated a "very high" blood sugar result.

You didn't mention if this is a fasting or a random result and how old is your friend,(this are important elements that should be taken in consideration);anyway i can say without doubt that his blood result is not bad.

If this is a fasting blood sugar ,this can be considerated "medium high" and if this is 2h after the meal or a random result,in this case it can be considerated a good result.

I agree with his doctor's decision about the treatement with metformin.
This drug will help your friend to have better results.

Hope this is helpful
If you have other doubts,feel free and ask.
Regards.