Hystorectomy done. Getting pain under rib cage. Telectatic or fibrotic change seen on cat scan. Meaning?

I had a hystorectomy 3 months ago and have had pain under my right rib cage area since the surgery. I got a cat scan done and it stated Linear density on the lung base on right side suggestive atelectatic/fibrotic changes. What is this and is it the cause for the pain? nAlso Ovarian cyst with fluid 2.9 cm on right side.
Thank you
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 1 hour later
Hello there and sorry to hear about your problems.

The atelectatic or fibrotic change means a very small part of your lung is collapsed and not functioning properly(normaly it should have air) . This can be a cause of pain if it is atelectatic , though you should have this pain during breathing and you may have associated cough.

A simple cyst in the ovary less than 3cms in a menstruating women is normal phenomenon , at the most you can do a repeat USG after your next menstrual cycle.

I hope this helps you, however you can send me the relevant images of your lower chest and ovary so that I can help you better with this.
Follow-up: Hystorectomy done. Getting pain under rib cage. Telectatic or fibrotic change seen on cat scan. Meaning? 29 minutes later
Thank you so much for answering my question I can upload images by tomorrow from the disk. I do not menstruate, I had a partial hystorectomy. This pain has been here since my surgery but the Doctor that did my surgery said he saw nothing and there was no reason for pain. When I asked for my records this was what was on the report. If I hurt in that area and the ct scan clearly saw something I was concerned as to why no one would tell me that my lung was damaged. What would be my next direction for a doctor.
Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 31 minutes later
Hello ,

I am sorry I didnt realize that you had your hysterectomy .

Even in that case the cyst of <3cms at your age still can be a functional cyst and you can do a repeat USG after 4-6weeks to see for its resolution.

In most of the cases a small atelectatic band is never a cause to worry and it does not mean the lung is damaged permanently. It is just that that portion is not filled with air when the scan is done, however if you could upload the relevant images I would be able to help you in a better way.
And next time please describe about your pain more as in the exact location, anything which makes your pain worse, anything that makes your pain better, any particular time of pain and type of pain, how would you describe your pain in the scale of 1-10 , where 10 being the maximum pain of your life and whether pain just stays there or moves.
So before coming to any conclusion please let me know these details and the images.
And don't worry , small atelectatic band or fibrotic band does not a cause a major problem.
Please also mention why you had your hysterectomy and Gall bladder removed.

Take care and regards
Follow-up: Hystorectomy done. Getting pain under rib cage. Telectatic or fibrotic change seen on cat scan. Meaning? 21 minutes later
Ok my gallbladder removed in 2010 and I had gallstones. In Dec 2012 I had a hysterectomy because I had painful menstruation and cramping between. My pain is always below my right breast and sometimes my thoratic part of my back. I would rate it at about a 6. It is dull but never goes away. I run out of breathe very quick and feels like sharp stabbing pain during walking and stretching. I get some relief when I lay on my right side(the side that hurts). The ovarian cyst is a Hemorrhagic Cyst and has never burst(only leaked a little) or changed size but every ultrasound has shown that the cyst doesn't go away. No medicine has given me any comfort. I tried Nambutone, Percocet, Ibprofen, tramadol, Baclofen, Ativan for anxiety and paxil for depression. I tried ativan and paxil because I thought it was mental but after hurting for so long and just knowing my body its kinda hard to believe its in my head. I will send images tomorrow. They will also show constipation and gas that I have resolved by taking miralax everyday. I don't have a cough but my breathing is shallow because pain.
Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 2 hours later
Hello there, thank you for telling me these details and I would surely do my best to help you with this, once I see the relevant images.

Till then take care and regards