Hysteroscopic resection, manual ablation, fever, taken antibiotics

Hi, I had a hysterscopic resection and manual ablation on 3/4/2011, on post op day 6, I got a fever. I was treated with antibiotics, when it did not go away more antibiotics, I had an ultrasound, CT scan. and blood work which did not show anything definitive other than slight swelling of my right fallopian tube. i still ended up with a horrible period. My GYN decided I needed a LAVH I did not disagree, I had it on 4/21/2011, but it did not get rid of my fevers. I ended up at ER 2 1/2 weeks post op with shortness of breath all they found was a UTI and anemia. I was referred to an urologist because antibiotics did not work. He did a scope and found nothing. My GYN has referred me to an Infectious Disease Specialist on 5/31/2011. I was told to stop taking antibiotics and keep a fever diary which I had already started on my own.I do not usually run fevers even when I know I am sick. My question is why would I start running fevers and if the fevers go away should I still see the IDS? I am worried that even if they go away on their own they may come back. I am very confused. Also will these fevers keep me from healing on schedule from my LAVH?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Fever is a common sign presented when there is a underlying infection anywhere in the body.Since you had been through surgeries , the same can be suspected in you being the cause for the fever.

I would suggest you to visit the infection disease specialist even if the fever gets subsided to prevent the recurrence in future if it disappears without appropriate treatment.

Fever does not affect healing , if its the infection in the pelvis around the operated structures then yes, the healing could be at stake.Do not worry the issue about healing is not serious .It may be delayed but could rarely get defective.

I would also like to ask you to go for certain tests which will search for the infection like Blood and urine culture and sensitivity , ESR, C reactive protein , test for Chlamydia etc.These tests may give a clue into what is causing the fever.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Hysteroscopic resection, manual ablation, fever, taken antibiotics 2 hours later
Ok, I am unclear of my limitations at 1 month post op LAVH, My Dr. says what I feel up to, which really isn't much, with my fevers. I am concerned about lifting and cleaning floors. I do not want to take the chance of having another surgery because I have over done it and I am getting conflicting information online, so what do you suggest? A list of do's and don'ts would be nice. I am also unclear of my restrictions for my LAVH recovery I am one month post op, I have heard that doing things too soon can lead to serious complications, with my fevers I do not have much energy. I am an in home childcare provider. I do not want to end up with another surgery. I have already had 2 this spring. But I am going a little stir crazy I have never been down for so long before. I need to know lifting restrictions, housework restrictions, can i safely do normal housework including floors or should I wait until 6 weeks post op?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later

Thanks for following me up,

Yes, I will advice you on post op care.

1) Good protein diet and also include food stuffs like Cereal,Chicken noodle soup
Cottage cheese,Eggs,Macaroni , Mashed potatoes, Yogurt etc.These help in muscle build up in the pelvic floor.

2)Cranberry juice : Do take this at least twice daily, This is known to be much effective in preventing gastrointestinal illness which may cause increase in the intra abdominal tension which is bad for the vaginal walls which are loosened up from their attachment after hysterectomy.

5)Do take Multivitamin supplements which helps in healing by assisting the new tissue formation.

6) Drink a lot of water, this will combat urinary infections.

1) Avoid lifting weights ( more than 5 kgs ) or moving heavy objects for a minimum of 6 weeks, this is mandatory .

2)Can proceed with normal house hold work , but this should not involve sudden sitting/ squatting or standing.

3)Avoid intercourse for 3 months since the surgery.

4)Do not sit crossed legs on the floor.

5)Avoid actions which will increase the intra abdominal pressures like blowing, vasalva's maneuver , Straining at stools ( do take laxatives if constipated ) etc.

Hope I have answered your query completely.

Wish you good health.