Hysterolaparoscopy done. Had intercourse after periods. Started bleeding again. Is it normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi, I had my hysterolaparoscopy done on 03/jun for the correction of septate uterus and correction of polycystic on both my ovaries, i got my periods on 18/jun which lasted for 5 days, Had intercourse on 29/ jun after doctor's advised but all of a sudden i started bleeding again on 01/ july. is it normal?? do i have to be concern??
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi ,

normally hysteroscopy will be done in first week after menstrual period, so according to that the bleeding on 18th could be your usual period.

so the possible causes for your bleeding on 1st July are,

-intercourse might have disturbed some healing local wound(caused by hysteroscopy) leading to bleeding.

-breakthrough bleeding from uterus may be because of infection

-menstrual irregularity because of poly cystic disease which may not be completely cured,

-stress and strain causing polymenorrhea, means more frequent menstrual cycles, by affecting hypothalamo pituitary ovarian axis.

anyhow you better visit your gynecologist and get examined once to find out the actual cause among above possibilities and take treatment accordingly so that future recurrence can be prevented.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Hysterolaparoscopy done. Had intercourse after periods. Started bleeding again. Is it normal? 14 hours later
Thanks alot for your reply doctor. I have an another query, I was asked to take drospirenone & ethinylestradiol tabs frm 09/ jun at 9 pm(sharp). i misunderstood doc instruction and took the tabs at 9 am instead of 9 pm. I have missed some days of the tabs. Could it be the reason am bleeding again after my cycle?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
hi,
if you take pills daily on one particular time either on 9am or pm that is good for efficacy and we don't miss usually that's why doctors prescribe like that,
but missing pills definitely affect the efficacy that may the reason for your breakthrough bleeding,
so better consult your doctor discuss regarding this and use some other additional contraceptive method to avoid pregnancy.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.