Hysterectomy with bladder sling done. Experiencing pain, having infections. Do I need hormone replacement therapy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hysterectomy bladder sling commplete hysterectomy except left ovary left by itself intact. uterus was prolapsed so had to come out. Bladder sling was then put in. 13 yrs ago. Bladder sling i had used i believe are the ones the are having the recalls on. i am having infections and pain i believe is from it. i also believe my other ovary after 13 yr is now failing it was in bad shape 13 yrs ago but it was the best one so we saved that one. so i think i am going into early menopause beause of it. if so how am i going to now if it really is menopause and that i realy need hormone replacement therapy. i am at a loss what to. guidance would be appreciated.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Dear madam, you didnt mention how old are you.
I dont know the exact reason why your ovaries were removed, but it was obviously necessary. Repeated infections can definitely be caused by sling,but also infected ovarian cysts or pelvic abscesses as well. Your second ovary function and morphology must be evaluated and if pathlogy is found then it is reasonable to remove it. Sonography should be done first and then laparoscopy.
Removal of this ovary in premenopausal patients will bring about the onset of menopause. Symptoms include hot flashes, night sweats, possible mood swings, anxiety, depression, and vaginal dryness and itching.

SUch patients may desire to use take it, but its benefit is definitely proven and there is no reason to experience some unpleasant symptoms when it can be easily prevented. SIde effects of therapy are minor and rare. Most women dont even notice any difference between pre-and post menopause if they take such therapy
For women who experience a decrease in libido, also testosterone supplements can be prescribed. Esrogen and testosteron together will make your sexual function undisturbed.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"