Hysterectomy, menopause, heated, perspiration, anxious, snoring

I had a Hysterectomy in Feb, I am 52 and had just started the menopause. I get spells of getting really hot and sweaty especially at night when my hair and bed clothes are wet. I can go hours some days without be affected at all, and other times I can be like it most of the day. I have started getting very aniouxs about it which i think is making it worse. I am 52 - 5'9" and weigh about 12 stone. I have also started to snore badly
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 30 minutes later

Thanks for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have Sleep Disturbance?
2.) What is your abdominal girth?

Your History suggests you are suffering from Hot flushes and mood swings secondary to Menopause. Kindly don't worry as it is not a disease and almost every woman of your age experiences this.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Gynecologist so that he/she may examine you and rule out what exactly is causing your Symptoms and Many effective treatments are available, from lifestyle adjustments to hormone therapy or low dose antidepressants, if the symptoms get severe.

Bring in some lifestyle changes:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Avoid high calorie foods and saturated fats.
3.) Exercise regularly for an hour and brisk walk for 30 to 40 minutes daily and maintain a healthy weight
4.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism
5.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation
6.) make sleep a priority and sleep for a minimum of 8 hours daily
7.) Dress in layers and avoid hot beverages warm rooms, caffeine, Spicy foods, to avoid hot flashes
8.) Join a support group if you have any in your County, and share your Experiences with other women who experience similar symptoms as you, this will help you ease your burden and will help you understand your condition better
9.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your Follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.
Follow-up: Hysterectomy, menopause, heated, perspiration, anxious, snoring 41 minutes later
is there anything I can do to ease the flushes, I had started getting flushes before my operation, i could feel the rise up through my body, but with the hot and sweatiness i am getting now i just am boiling hot immediately.
I do not get sleep distrubance, only if i wake up sweating hot, then i find it really tough to get back to sleep. I am a size 16.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 18 hours later

Thank you for Writing Back.

Follow the Lifestyle changes which I have suggested to you to control your Hot flashes.

Currently Hormonal Therapy is recommended for Hot flashes, but i would not recommend it for you considering your age as the risks are more in older women.

There are transdermal patches available for the same.

Speak to your Doctor as It is recommended that if hormonal therapy is used, it should be used at the smallest dose for the shortest possible time.

The other treatment options include, anti anxiety and anti depressant medications, anti seizure and anti hypertension medications. Your treating Doctor would know which treatment suits you better after examining you.

Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.