Hysterectomy done due to fibroid tumors. Started pelvic pain. Should I go for treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I am 58 years old and had a hysterectomy at the age of 37 because of fibroid tumors. I have never had a pelvic exam since my surgery and am wondering if I SHOULD BE ASKING for an exam. I think I might be having vaginal issues due to my age.
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi,

usually after removal of uterus by hysterectomy the functioning of ovaries also will become decreased due to absence of end organ for their hormones, so women will have surgical menopause due to hysterectomy.
with increasing age also further estrogen deficiency occurs leading to vaginal problems like,
vaginal discomfort, dryness that can lead to pain during intercourse, itching, vaginal infections, bleeding per vaginum etc.
not only because of these generally also better to have followups after hysterectomy to check for the condition of vault, in rare cases if sub-total hysterectomy done with part of the cervix left behind, you may need pap smear examination also.

so you once consult gynecologist discuss regarding your problem and undergo physical examination, depending on that necessary treatment like estrogen cream or HRT etc can be taken.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Hysterectomy done due to fibroid tumors. Started pelvic pain. Should I go for treatment? 24 hours later
thanks for the information. I am experiencing several of the problems you mentioned and I will seek out a GYN tomorrow.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
hi,

yes, you better consult and don't worry most of these problems can be solved with proper treatment.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.