Hysterectomy done. Having pain and discomfort across lower abdomen. Any suggestions?

General Surgeon
I had a hysterectomy about 5 years ago. I have for the past months had a lot of pain and discomfort across my lower abdomen exactly where the scar is. I also have to urinate very often and "right now". About a year ago I had a bladder sling put in to help with the leak when I coughed, jumped or sneezed. I have also heard some bladder slings have been recalled so not sure if this is why I have so much pain, pressure and discomfort. It wakes me during the night and seems worse when I am laying down or if I stand for a long period of time. Any suggestions? I appreciate your thoughts on this. It is making my life difficult in many ways. The comfort but also the worry that one of these times I will not make it to the bathroom. I should also let you know I have Sjogren's Syndrom, and Hypothyroidism. I have had a total hysterectomy (because of a lot of cysts and bleeding), I have also had an appendectomy and my gallbladder removed. I am 50 years old. I am 5'6 and weigh 215.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are probably caused by urinary tract stones what should be ruled out at first. UTI is often associated with burning when urinating, frequent urinating, sometimes with fever. The scar after hysterectomy is exactly in the area where urinary bladder is located so you may think this is because of the scar.
I suggest you to have urine tests and abdominal ultrasound to see if there is an infection. To treat it, antibiotics therapy might be necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.