Hysterectomy done. Found indentation on breast. Concerned

Sep 2012

I am 55. had a hysterctomy at 49, am not taking HRT.A few days ago I noticed a kind of indentation on my right breast below the nipple close to the base of my breast.only see it when I raise my arms. it is still there so am now concerned. had a mammo a yar ago and all was fine. there is no lump
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly the indentation you described, may be seen in some malignant conditions as well as in some benign conditions also. Considering your age and history of HRT, you should be careful.

You should consult a general surgeon for a clinical examination. After clinical examination, you should do a mammography. It will demonstrate presence of any small lump or any calcification.

As you told, that you did not notice any lump, usually, it would not be any problem. But, you should visit the doctor for confirmation of the situation.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Hysterectomy done. Found indentation on breast. Concerned 14 hours later
Thank you for your reply. i have scheduled a mammogram and a visit to the doctor. i am very worried and nervous though and I wondered what are the benign conditions that would give rise to an indentation but no lump (that I can detect). this is just to give myself some hope so that I can stop thinking the worst.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

I can understand your situation.

Look, from my clinical experience, I can assure you that if there is no detectable lump, the condition is not so much severe. It may be very early changes.

So, stop thinking about the worst, and hope for the best.