Hysterectomy, clear discharge. Reason?

My girlfriend 45 is recovering from a hysterectomy and she just told me a clear liquid soaked her pants twice, what is causing this?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 51 minutes later

Post-hysterectomy commonly causes vaginal serous discharge is common. It is not a complication and just a normal process.

If the discharge becomes smelly, white, cottage-cheese-like discharge, accompanied by vaginal itching and inflammation, it could mean symptoms of a possible yeast (candidial) infection which requires intervention from a doctor.

Please check with your doctor if you notice any unusual vaginal discharge or “unfamiliar happenings” in the vaginal area.

The use of oral antibiotics is one of the main reasons many women develop a yeast (candidial) infection after their hysterectomy. Antibiotics administered at the time of surgery do a great job killing off the "bad" bacteria that may cause other infections, but the antibiotics are indiscriminate in their action; that is, they also kill the "good" or "helpful" bacteria that exist in the vagina. When those good bacteria are eliminated, the result may be a yeast (candidial) infection.
Post-operative women who are diagnosed with a yeast (candidial) infection are prescribed oral Antifungal in order to avoid having to put anything into the vagina.
In resistant cases, Local Antifungal agents (by Vaginal pessary) are used to treat yeast (candidial) infections.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups
Follow-up: Hysterectomy, clear discharge. Reason? 9 hours later
Thank you for your answer, since I last wrote, about 10 hours ago, my girlfriend has had many more discharges. It seems to happen every hour or so she has had to change her pads and underwear, how much discharge is normal? Should we ride this out or go to the ER? As far as it seems it is clear liquid nothing smelly, no infection.

Thanks for your time.

Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Serous discharge from Vagina is common for at least seven post-operative days
This is nothing but normal tissue fluid.If she does not have fever, then nothing much to do about it.

I would like to know when was she operated?