Hysterectomy, abortion, one child. Chances of getting pregnant through IVF ?

I am 31 years old. I have undergone Hystectomy in 2008 October and lost a baby girl. I have one son born in 2006. Now I want a baby girl. Is there any chance for me to get baby through IVF?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Hysterectomy is removal of the uterus. Partial hysterectomy is when the uterus is removed and ovaries and cervix are left behind. Pregnancy can result after partial hysterectomy because eggs are released by the ovaries which have been left behind and these eggs can fuse with the sperms but this pregnancy is usually ectopic in nature and not a viable pregnancy.

However after hysterectomy, there is no uterus or womb which can carry the pregnancy by implantation till term. Hence if eggs are retrieved by IVF also and fertilized with your husband’s sperms, then a surrogate womb of a mother is required which can hold the fertilized zygote till term and delivery.

Pregnancy after hysterectomy is possible with a surrogate mother.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.