Hypothyroidism, on thyroxine, high TSH, low T3, T4, wants to take Unithyroid. Safe to take ?

Endocrinologist
Question
RECENT MBP TEST: FREE T3 IS 58 AND T4 IS 4.9 TAKING .25 MCG'S UNITHROID DAILY [DOWN FROM 100 MCG'S DUE TO HYPER SYMPTOMS] . I HAVE NO THYROID SYMPTOMS.[NEVER DID HAVE ANY OF THESE EITHER [ONLY TIREDNESS / HIGH TSH 6 YEARS AGO] NO WEIGHT GAIN, NO HAIR LOSS, NO DIGESTIVE OR DEPRESSION ISSUES ETC.] CAN I TAKE .25MCG IN AM AND .25MCG IN PM TO MAYBE REGULATE THE T3? ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED. CRP .10 / HDL 85 / TRIGLYCERIDES 60. I AM 64, 5' 8'', 130LBS. I TAKE NO OTHER MEDICATION. THANKS.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 8 hours later

I do understand that you had been suffering from Hypothyroidism for 6 years and had been on thyroxine replacement of 25mcg. Though you are asymptomatic, Your concern now seems to be related to your T3 levels.

Hypothyroidism is state where your TSH (Thyroid stimulating hormone) is high and your T3, T4 levels are low. Whenever we treat primary hypothyroidism with thyroxine replacement, the goal is to maintain your TSH, T3 and T4 in normal range.

The most important among these is TSH. As long as your TSH is normal the same dose should be sufficient and if your TSH is high you will definitly require increase in dose of thyroxine. I would like to know your TSH levels, before any dose titration is made. T3 has very minimal role in the follow-up of hypotyroid patient

The next concern of yours is whether to take thyroxine twice a day. The half life of the thyroxine medicine is long and once a day dosing at empty stomach should be perfectly fine and taking it twice is really not required.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Hypothyroidism, on thyroxine, high TSH, low T3, T4, wants to take Unithyroid. Safe to take ? 12 hours later
My TSH is 17.3. Suggestions?

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 1 hour later

Your TSH of 17 .3 is high and it denotes you are underreplaced and the thyroxine dose of 25 mcg is anadequate.

Considering your age we can increase the dose slowly. I feel that your dose be increased to 50mcg once a day at empty stomach. A repeat TSH levels after 4 to 6 weeks is entailed. Further titration of the dose is based on the TSH value.

I encourage you to visit your physician and discuss about increasing the dosage.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Hypothyroidism, on thyroxine, high TSH, low T3, T4, wants to take Unithyroid. Safe to take ? 3 hours later
I am reluctant as I still had hyper symptoms at 50mcg before. Is it possible that won't happen again? Thanks.

Thanks for the follow up.

I do appreciate your concern regarding the symptoms that you had earlier.

Your TSH value is suggestive of underreplacement and you would definitly require dose increment.

Looking at your TSH value, your symptoms may not happen again.

Alternately you can also try increasing thyroxine to 37.5mcg and then to 50mcg after 10days after consulting your physician.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Best wishes.