Hypothyroidism, insomnia, depression, mood swings, high level of antibodies

Endocrinologist
Question
WELL I HAVE HYPOTHROIDISM , I JUST CAME FROM MY DOCTOR MY ANTIBODIES ARE HIGH AT 636 I DO NOT WANT TO SYNTHROID BAD ARTICLES NOW I ASKED ABOUT WHICH IM ON MY OWN I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT,INSOMNIA MOOD SWINGS ,DEPRESSION COULD IT BE THE ARMOUR I TAKE 120MCG A DAY I NEED HELP
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 5 hours later

I can understand that you have been suffering from Hypothyroidism with high antibody titers, and have been on armour thyroid.

High antibody titre signifies that your Hypothyroidism is due to Autoimmune etiology and you need not be worried about the numbers.

Your mood swings, weight gain, depression and decreased sex libido can be due to Hypothyroidism, but definitively not due to Armour. Whether you take synthyoid or Armour thyroid, we would prefer to keep your TSH levels within the normal range.

I would suggest you to have your TSH done and titrate your thyroid medication accordingly in consultation with your endocrinologist. If your TSH is normal then we could evaluate for depression and decreased sex libido further.

Hope this answers your query. Wishing you good health.

Regards.