Hypothyroidism, fatigue, thyroxine, exhausted, heavy periods, itchy skin, confused constantly, forgetful. Improve symptoms?

Question
I am aged 30, height 5ft 1" weight 10 stone, diagnosed with hypo thyroidism 5 years ago due to periods stopping and extreme fatigue, levels appartently were 4 (?) I have had 3 .pregnancies in quick succession, youngest child 9 months, I am on 100mg thyroxine. I am exhausted, and truly sick of being told because of 3 children - all my children sleep well and am no busier than I was when I worked full time in v demanding job. I am due to work full time but literally cannot face it, not normal 'return to work anxiety' but more than this, I am totally petrified of how exhausted I will be. My question is, will I ever be rid of the symptoms of hypothyroidism? Is it a properly recognised condition i.e. would I be within my rights to apply for reduced working hours due to medical condition even if I am supposedly being controlled by medication? How can I improve my symptoms apart from thyroxine (constant itchy skin, v heavy periods, constantly confused and forgetful all in addition to exhaustion)?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

Its clear that you have hypothyroidism and thyroxine replacement is essential.

You mentioned that 5 years ago when you were started on thyroxine, your levels were (TSH Levels) 4. Currently you have been taking 100 micrograms of Thyroxine per day.

Coming to your questions.

1. Will I ever be rid of the symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Yes, you can and you should be able to get rid of the symptoms. Hypothyroidism is a condition which completely reverses when adequate replacement is given. You must get yourself tested for TSH once again if not done recently, to document normal thyroid functions. Sometimes, the dosage requirements increase if the levels are not within acceptable limits.

Once the thyroid functions are normal, you should not be having any symptoms. If you still have symptoms, please look out for other causes such as Anemia, Stress, Liver Related Issues, Vitamin D Deficiency. You will need to get evaluated for such conditions if symptoms persist.

2. Is it a properly recognised condition i.e. would I be within my rights to apply for reduced working hours due to medical condition even if I am supposedly being controlled by medication?

Well this depends on the Labor Laws of your country.

There is no doubt that hypothyroidism is a well recognized condition. However, the symptoms and signs abate once on adequate replacement. And it should not interfere with work. So, I doubt if there will be consideration of reduced working hours due to this.

3. How can I improve my symptoms apart from thyroxine (constant itchy skin, v heavy periods, constantly confused and forgetful all in addition to exhaustion)?

Your first step will be to document that your thyroxine replacement is adequate by doing a TSH testing. If not the dosage of thyroxine will need to be modified.

Second step will be to evaluate your self for other causes of fatigue and tiredness. So get your labs done for Hemoglobin, 25 Hydroxy Vitamin D3, Liver Function Tests, Kidney Function tests and and Heart Function. If they are normal, then its unlikely that you have any major medical illness for your symptoms.

You can consider doing exercise/aerobic to improve your overall energy levels. Make sure you eat on time and drink plenty of fluids.

Please be reassured and get your self evaluated. Get back if you need any further clarification'

Thanks once again and Regards