Hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis, taking Thyronorm. Do you have a better solution?

Endocrinologist
Question
I have hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis since last 2 years.
I am taking medicine daily [Thyronorm 75] and its under control but do you have any better solution?

Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later

Thyronorm is a thyroid hormone replacement medication. Taking thyroid pills is the only way to treat hypothyroidism. I do not think there are any alternatives to it.

“The key is to ensure that one is getting the right dose”. It varies from person to person and that’s why typically the medication comes in a variety of strengths such as 25, 50, 75, 88, 100, 112, 125, 137, 150, 200 and 300 mcg. Most people however will need about 100-125 mcg daily. In addition to clinical findings, blood tests are very useful in determining the dose. The goal is to keep the TSH between 0.4 to 2 and free T4 levels on the high normal side.

It is important to note that in select circumstances the dose of thyroid medication must be cautiously chosen. This includes older individuals especially those with heart problems, those with irregular heart rhythms, pregnancy, thyroid cancer etc

It is often helpful to see an endocrinologist to arrive at the optimal dose for your body. And this may change over a lifetime owing to various factors, for example, in some instances as we grow older the thyroid hormone requirement may decrease by 15 % or so.

Also, food and calcium or iron supplements interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone from our gut and hence classically people have been advised by their doctors for decades to take this pill away from food. But after having taken this pill for a few weeks, it reaches steady state in the blood and so even if it is taken with food, one can continue to do so, although a higher dose may be needed to compensate for the potential reduction in absorption. To learn more about this, WWW.WWWW.WW or WWW.WWWW.WW is an authentic online resource.

Another vital question is whether or not you truly have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Laboratory tests such as anti TPO and anti Thyroglobulin antibodies are often positive in such individuals. An endocrinologist is the most qualified physician to make this determination.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept this answer if you do not have any further queries. Should you have any, I will be glad to assist you.