Hypothyroid patient. Had miscarriages. Got positive pregnancy test. Will high TSH level affect fetal development?

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
Hi Doctor,

I am hypothyroid patient. i Had 3 missed miscarriages previously due to unchecked thyroid levels. Now i am using 75 mcg of levothyoxine and my TSH was at 1.64 mlU/L and continued 75 mcg and got preganant now. As soon as i got my pregnancy test came positive (at end of 4th week) doctor checked the TSH level and found it at 1.45 mlU/L and raised the levothyoxine from 75 mcg to 88 mcg continued the same dose for 12 days.
Again when TSH levels was checked on 5th week 5th day the TSH was 2.45 mlU/L , so doctor again raised the dose from 88mcg to 100 mcg and contining with same dose.

Question is ,since my levels are up from 1.45 to 2.45 during the 5th we do you think this may affect fetal development or any other brain issues ,as 5th and 6th week of pregancy involves neurial tube can u please clarify our doubts in detail.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 2 hours later

As I understand, you were hypothyroid and have been on replacement therapy with levothyroxine which is the standard treatment and as you say that your TSH is now 2.45mlU/L and has gone from level of 1.45.

As the TSH value of 2.45 is within normal range (up to 5mIU/L) it should not cause any worry. Neural tube development of your child is expected to be optimal if thyroxine is supplemented adequately as indicated by within limits TSH levels.

You also get your free T4 and T3 done. These along with TSH will give better way to assess level of the control that you have achieved.
If the tests are done and the results are available, I wish to see you total thyroid profile.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

With best wishes
Dr M Chowhan