Hypothyroid, mood swings, depression, weight gain, on uroxatral. Effectiveness of wellburtin and prozac medication ?

I would like to know why before when I took wellburtin, prozac, and one period I took both they were effective. Now since I had hypothyroid diagnosis they do not work as well. Should I continue to take them anyway. I was taking synthroid and the doctor added cytomel and that helped a little with mood. When testoterone was added my mood fluctuated and got bvreast enlargement and weight gain. My tsh before tyroid meds was 4.5, now it is 1.29. My testoterone is 320-335 rgardless of whether I take testosterone or not. I am very frustrated by this. What hormone should I take what antidepressant should I take. I take 10mg uroxatral for bph, 1mg ativan 3x for years for gad. de[pression, low libido, weight gain, naps all within the last 5 years only.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later

1. You are having a TSH level of 4.5 before starting the medicines. This comes under subclinical hypothyroidism. The medications are usually started if the TSH value is greater then 10mu/l.
Subclinical Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the symptoms of hypothyroidism are not present and is only diagnosed by increased levels of TSH.

2. Right now when your depressive symptoms have increased in spite of medications, you can stop taking both Cytomel and Synthyroid after consulting with your Endocrinologist.

3. You can try some dietary management for subclinical hypothyroidism. A healthy diet for someone with hypothyroidism would include natural foods, whole grains, lots of fruits and vegetables and a good supply of seafood and other lean protein.

You should cut back on meats that are high in fat, but not all meats are bad for you. A multivitamin is probably a good idea if you aren't already taking one.

Selenium supplements and foods XXXXXXX in selenium- brazilian nuts and lean meat will help a lot.
Avoid raw foods such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mustard greens, XXXXXXX spinach, peaches, pears, strawberries, radishes and millet. These will help you with thyroid levels.

4. Normal adult Testosterone (morning sample) is 300 – 1000 ng/dl. So, your levels falls under normal level.

5. You can continue your anti depressants as prescribed by your treating doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer them.

Follow-up: Hypothyroid, mood swings, depression, weight gain, on uroxatral. Effectiveness of wellburtin and prozac medication ? 8 hours later
Just a more questions please, does taking cytomel, synthroid reduce the effectiveness of prozac and wellbutrin?- because this was very noticable to me, before I started taking thyroid meds these antidepressants worked very well for me. Is there a better choice for me as a 62 year old than ativan, if so what can I take and how do I go off of ativan. Finally can I just stop the cytomel and synthroid immediately. Thank you. Henry
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

1. Cytomel or synthyroid does not reduce the effectiveness of antidepressants usually. But there are some unexpected effects of drugs which vary from individual to individual and cannot be predicted.

2. For anxiety you can try some other options like Zolpidem which has less day time sedation after discussing with your primary doctor.

3. Do not stop these immediately. First you stop cytomel and one week later gradually reduce the doses of synthyroid. I encourage you to do this under guidance of your doctor for smooth and trouble free withdrawl.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.