Ask a Urologist   »  

Hypoechoic lesion in anterior myometrium shown in ultra sonography of abdomen. Should I be worried about the findings?

Mar 2013
Hello sir, My mom underwent ultra sonography of abdomen today and the report says 1.Right renal calculus measuring 3mm 2.Hypoechoic lesion 8mm in anterior myometrium.Endometrial cavity empty. ET measuring 5.6mm Are these results something to be panicked off ..what are the steps to be taken regarding the cure of these.what is the way out. Thank you XXXX
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NOTHING TO BE DONE, PROVIDE MORE DETAILS PLEASE. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health query. Let me guide you regarding the report you have provided. 1. If there is no obstruction or infection ( your mother has no burning in urine, no blood in urine, painful spasmodic pain ) then a 3 mm stone can be expected to pass out through the urinary tract by itself. She can be asked to consume plenty of water ( hydrotherapy ) atleast 4 - 5 litres per day. If there is acute pain / infection, a Nephrologist can be approached for medical management of the stone. Right now, if this is an incidental finding on the ultrasound, nothing needs to be done. It would help me to know for what indications the scan was done. ( what problems she had, and what sequence was followed before the ultrasound was done ). 2. 8 mm lesion in anterior myometrium would be a small fibroid seedling. It is of no significance, and nothing needs to be done for such a small lesion ( unless there are symptoms ). ALso the endometrial thickness ( ET ) should ideally be less than 4 - 5 mm in a menopausal woman . ( I assume she is menopausal at 62 ). SO the ET is borderline cut off, is she having any symptoms such as bleeding / spotting etc ? Please let me know that. She should just have a Pap smear and Endometrial biopsy ( these two are simple one minute office procedures ) just to be on the safer side as precautionary measures. Other than that, nothing needs to be done. Take care. Looking forward to hearing from you with more details.