Hypochondriacal and prone to anxiety. Feeling vibration in chest and abdomen. Could it be anxiety?

Nov 2013

I am a healthy 62 yr. old male, although I am somewhat hypochondriacal and prone to anxiety. Several months ago I noticed upon awakening, a feeling of vibration in the core or trunk of my body - sometimes in my chest, sometimes abdomen, sometimes head - never just in a hand or leg, etc. My pulse is always slow, routine and regular when this occurs. The vibration subsides after 5 to 10 seconds or so, and I really only experience it upon awakening in the morning from sleep. For example, I might wake up at 5 or 6 in the a.m., feel the vibration, fall back asleep, and feel it when I wake up an hour or so later. This lasted a month to 6 weeks, disappeared, and I didn't experience it for another month or so, but 2 weeks ago it returned. I now notice it every morning, but it doesn't last more than 10 seconds or so. Could it be anxiety? Do I need to be concerned? Thank you. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Most likely it is due to anxiety Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Yes, these symptoms are most likely due to anxiety. It is very unlikely that these are due to any spinal cord or brain disease. This is because symptoms occur only at a specific time and last for a very short period. However, you may want to check the level of vitamin B12 in the blood, as its deficiency may produce similar symptoms. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: