Hypochondriac. Having pain in calf muscle. No bruise, swelling or heat. Should I consult a doctor?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi I'm a hypochondriac with a new fear of dvt. Since yesterday I've had a bruise like pain in my lower calf in my right leg on the right side. No bruise, swelling or heat or redness. It doesn't hurt to walk, but I can feel it more when I'm standing and flexing my foot. I'm 33, ex light smoker and take loestrin 24. Should I see a doctor for these symptoms?
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hello.

From description , symptoms you have are more suggestive of muscle cramps. These are often caused by muscle fatigue, heat, or dehydration.

You can ease muscle cramps by stopping whatever triggered them.
Gently stretch or massage your lower leg muscle. Applying heat to tight muscles or cold to tender muscles may ease some symptoms. Proper conditioning and stretching can help prevent problems in the future.

There is very less chance of DVT as there is no any swelling , redness or warmth in the area. But I would suggest getting this evaluated by doctor for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

I also advice you some lifestyle changes such as:
Quitting smoking
Adopting a healthier diet
Managing weight
Exercising, gradually increasing walking distance over time

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wishing you good health....
Dr Saurabh Gupta

Follow-up: Hypochondriac. Having pain in calf muscle. No bruise, swelling or heat. Should I consult a doctor? 45 hours later
My leg doesn't hurt when I touch it anymore, but I can still feel that tight pain when I do certain activities at work. The pain is less severe now though, but still present. Is that an indicator that it is a muscle cramp and not dvt? I do not remember getting a muscle cramp or spasm in the first place, it just started hurting at work, while I was lifting quite a bit.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

It does sound like a muscle spasm. In all probability, it is not DVT as there is no any tenderness,swelling , redness or warmth in the area. Please consider getting this evaluated by doctor for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

I hope that helps

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta