Hypertensive, low sugar, high cholesterol, flu, heavy cough, sore voice, hot flashes. Treatment ?

I am 50 years old, 4'11'' and 110 lbs. I have hypertension, diabetes(low sugar) and high cholesterol and I am taking lisinopril, metformin and simvastatin. I went to the doctor 2 months ago because of flu and heavy cough and and my voice was harsh. He prescribed me to take antibiotic. I took the antibiotic and I was good after 2 weeks. My voice was back to normal for 1 week only and it was harsh again until now. In addition to that, I am having hot flashes nowadays and it occurs frequently almost everyday. Has this a relation to my harsh voice?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 57 minutes later

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long are you having this Hot flashes?
2.) Have you attained Menopause?
3.) Do you have Vaginal Dryness?
4.) Do you have Mood Swings and Sleep Disturbance?

You are experiencing Hot Flashes as a result of Normal Process of attaining Menopause and it is not at all related to your Harsh Voice.

I would suggest you get yourself reexamined by your Doctor and start taking antibiotics for your Harsh voice which suggests Laryngitis which is the infection of voice box. Just take it as directed by your Doctor and go for regular follow up.

Now, coming to Hot flashes, kindly don't worry as they are not serious as every woman experiences this as Menopause is a natural biological process, not a medical illness which happens as result of natural decline of reproductive Hormones.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Gynecologist, she will be doing a Physical Examination and also a Pelvic Examination. If necessary, your Doctor may prescribe you Hormonal Therapy and Low dose anti depressants.

In addition to this, you should be bringing in some lifestyle changes like:
1.) Exercise regularly for an hour.
2.) Avoid the common triggers which cause Hot flashes, like avoid Hot beverages, Hot weather, warm rooms, Alcoholism and smoking.
3.) Get adequate sleep, sleep for a minimum of 8 hours daily.
4.) Avoid stress, Practice relaxation techniques like Yoga and Meditation
5.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.
Follow-up: Hypertensive, low sugar, high cholesterol, flu, heavy cough, sore voice, hot flashes. Treatment ? 5 hours later
Hi Doc,
Thanks for the immediate reply and I really appreciate it. I have a follow up question regarding my diabetes and high cholesterol issues, how come i got these health problems where in fact I am very careful of my diet and I avoid fatty foods and include fruits and vegetable in my meal. I always having oatmeal using non-fat milk in my breakfast and a piece of whole wheat bread. I asked my doctor about this and he said its part of aging, is that true? Thanks for taking care of my queries.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 8 hours later

Thank you for writing Back.

It is True that Non Communicable Diseases (NCD) like Diabetes, Hypertension, Hypercholesterolemia occur as a part of aging, since as you grow older your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) reduces.

This is the reason in spite of eating normal less calorie foods, you start putting on weight.

You are suffering from Type 2 Diabetes where your cells become resistant to the actions of insulin, and your pancreas will not make enough insulin to overcome this Insulin Resistance. Instead of moving into your cells, sugar builds up in your bloodstream, increasing your Blood Sugar Levels. It is believed that genetic and environmental factors play a role in the development of type 2 Diabetes. Since your BMR reduces and you start Putting on weight, being overweight is strongly linked to the development of type 2 diabetes but not every overweight Person is going to have Diabetes.

Now coming to High Cholesterol in your case, Factors such as inactivity, obesity and an unhealthy diet, contribute to high LDL cholesterol (Bad Cholesterol) and low HDL cholesterol (Good Cholesterol). Since you have been following a Healthy Lifestyle, your genetic makeup may keep cells from removing LDL cholesterol from your blood efficiently or cause your liver to produce too much cholesterol leading to Hypercholesterolemia or Dyslipidemia.

I really appreciate your Healthy Lifestyle. In addition to Medications, Adopting a Healthy Lifestyle changes is going to help you in the long run to keep you Blood Sugars and Cholesterol levels under a fairly good control:

1.) Eat Healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include Fiber XXXXXXX fresh fruits and XXXXXXX Leafy vegetables.
2.) Avoid stress, Practice relaxation techniques like Yoga and Meditation
3.) If you smoke and Drink, QUIT, your treating Doctor can help you with this
4.) Exercise for an hour daily along with Brisk walks with an average of 100 steps per minute
5.) Avoid Saturated Fats
6.) Take care of your Teeth and Feet
7.) Schedule regular follow up with your treating Doctor
8.) Stick to your Treatment Plan, Learn more about these conditions as this will help you stick to your treatment plan and will help you understand your Situation better.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.