Hypertensive and diabetic. Can I have brandy?

Dear Doctor,
I am 62 and have been hypertensive for the last 20 years and type 2 diabetic since 12 years.I follow diet, walk about 5 miles a day and on regular prescribed medication and keep both diabetes and B P in check always.I on and off drink 60 ml of brandy every day say for a month give up for another month and so on.Is it O K?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that since you are diabetic and hypertensive you need to be extra cautious with your habits . Its very good that you keep a regular check on your exercise regimen .

I will advise you have 30 ml of red wine on a daily or alternate day basis . This habit of taking for a month and then leaving is weird . But you should prefer taking red wine only as it is good for health and helps in raising good cholesterol and full of antioxidants.

Dr. Shruti