Hypertension patient. Experiencing weakness and lightheaded after taking wine. Any complication?

Question
Hi... My dad is a hypertension patient since a month or so when we found out that his BP was 180/110 after he had taken about 4 drinks at a party. We started the medication which had Tetan-am in the morning, a cholestrol preventing medicine in the evening and Eslo 2.5mg when needed( if the BP went high at night). However, today he took about two glasses of red wine as suggested my someone to bring BP down. But his BP after that fell to 112/62. And he is experiencing weakness and light headedness... He has slept right now. Are there any dangers ? Do we need to call the doctor or emergency or let him sleep?
Posted Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

BP could sometimes fall lower than usual, when a new drug is taken for the first time.

Alcohol can cause vaso-dilatation and reduce the pressure.
In the long run, it can damage the liver and heart muscle too – avoid it.

TETAN AM contains Telmisartan 40 mg and Amlodipine 5 mg
ESLO again has s-amlodipine

It is possible that alcohol is also contributing.
Still, it is better to be investigated, if there is weakness and light headedness.
He may need ECG / cardiac markers and electrolytes – to rule out ischemia.
If symptoms persist, a neurological evaluation and MRI may also be necessary

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Hypertension patient. Experiencing weakness and lightheaded after taking wine. Any complication? 5 minutes later
So what do I do next when he complains of weakness.. should I take him to emergency if the BP remains 112/60 or around...

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 15 minutes later
Hi

Yes
He must be seen by an Internist - as soon as possible.
There may or may not be a serious event / but it is safer to have an immediate look than to wait and watch. / Especially so in the setting of pressure and cholesterol...
If there are clues, prompt and proper treatment can be given...If nothing, we are reassured and can return.
In many situations, time is important - earlier the better- to reduce the damage and complications.

All the best
Good luck

Follow-up: Hypertension patient. Experiencing weakness and lightheaded after taking wine. Any complication? 6 minutes later
Thanks ... one last thing... people around have been advising him to take red wine. Should he continue with that or completely leave it. I mean could there be a possibility of reaction with the medicines.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 14 minutes later
Hello

It is wiser to stop the wine.
It was once suggested for its anti-oxidant properties.
It is not possible to limit to 'medicinal doses' and it is habit forming.
Alcohol dilates the blood vessels / so does amlodipine - potentiating each other.
Most drugs are metabolised in the liver / alcohol damages the liver
Most commercial liquors may also contain additives, which could be toxic.
Stopping it is the wisest course - In Medicine we call to stop "Immediately, Completely and Permanently."

God bless