Hypertension. How to quit smoking?

I want to quit smoking
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 15 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     37 year old male
•     Known case of Nicotine dependent syndrome (smoking)
•     Concern related to quitting smoking

Regarding de addiction from smoking, it most significantly depends on patient motivation to quit it. I need following information to help you better:
-For how long you are smoking
-Number of cigarettes smoked per day
-List the current reasons for you to quit smoking
-History of past attempts to quit smoking, if present, then reasons for restart of smoking
-History of Diabetes or hypertension

Waiting for your reply.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Hypertension. How to quit smoking? 1 hour later
Thanks doctor for your prompt response.....
My reply are mentioned below for your further guidance...

-For how long you are smoking

I am smoking since last 20 years....
-Number of cigarettes smoked per day
14 to 17 cigarettes per day...
-List the current reasons for you to quit smoking.
My son is currently 6 years old and if I die early then he will be no where in terms his life style, education etc. The same logic is also applied for my wife as she does not earn and I am the only source of income for my family.

I never tried to quit smoking.

-History of Diabetes or hypertension..

Yes... I am hypertensive with High blood pressure (130/90) and cholestoral. I take reguler medicine like Eslo 2.5 and Atocor 10mg.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

It is clear that you have enough reasons to quit smoking:
-Known case of diabetes and hypertension, which accelerate cardiac and other harm due to smoking.
-Long duration of smoking
-Excess smoking
-Valid worry related to family members

It is high time to quit smoking for you. For de addiction following steps are followed: -Consent of the patient: you himself seeking guidance from us
-Motivational interviewing: you are already motivated to quit smoking, but need to maintain this motivation
-stoppage of smoking with prevention of discomfort or withdrawal: Nicotine replacement for short duration
-relapse prevention: by anti craving treatment
-maintenance treatment.

First you reduce number of cigarettes smoked per day. You reduce it 1 cig every alternate day. Same time medicine like Bupron SR are given to reduce craving for smoking. We have many patients who stopped smoking with its help. But for that you need prescription from psychiatrist.

After 14 days of start of Bupron SR, fixed a quit date to stop smoking completely. Throw your all remaining cig and associated material like lighters on that day, otherwise they will create craving for smoking. Inform your friends and family member for quit date as it will increase your motivation.

After stopping smoking you may experienced some nicotine withdrawal like anxiety, headache, poor concentration, restlessness and increase appetite. For that you can use nicotine replacement in form of Nicorette gum according to your requirement given on pack for 1-2 month. You can also use mouth fresheners like Elaichi during craving for smoking.

After that you are free from smoking. Always remember quitting smoking need high level of motivation. So maintain your motivation. I have simplified steps to quit smoking for you. It is better if you quit under some de addiction specialist (psychiatrist), as it is a specialized area.

Wish you good health.