Hypersensitivity of the penis. Circumcision done. Prescribed with anaesthetic cream. Is it safe?

22 years old, 5'11, 77kg.

ive experienced for many years extreme hypersensitivity on the corona of my penis and the foreskin. i am uncircumcised. there is extreme pain with even the slightest touch. i was prescribed an anesthetic cream named Emla which seems to completely numb the corona and surrounding skin but there is a discoloration of the exposed corona.

my question is should i be using this cream? and what are the possible causes and solutions for this painful sensitivity?

thank you
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later

As far as the extreme senstivity is concerned, it is very difficult to find out the cause for the same.

However, I shall still advise yourself to be examined by Urologist to rule out tight frenulum. The patient will experience similar symptoms and a small surgery shall cure patient of all symptoms.

You can continue applying Emla; it is a local anaesthetic and has no long term side effects. The discoloration of corona is nothing unusual and can happen to all males who are sexually active.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Hypersensitivity of the penis. Circumcision done. Prescribed with anaesthetic cream. Is it safe? 2 hours later
Tight frenulum? How could this cause hypersensitivity?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later
Thanks for reverting back.

Tight frenulum causes retraction of the prepuce difficult and when the prepuce is retracted, it becomes painful.
Almost all patients are not able to appreciate whether it is pain or hypersensitivity as it is very difficult to differentiate between the two sensations.
Hence, patients with tight frenulum may also have the same symptoms and these can be easily cured with minor surgery.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.