Hyperpigmentation due to jock itch. Can Tri-Luma cream be used to get rid of dark skin near penis?

Question
I've had a jock itch before an year.Hyper pigmentation was the further effect carried by the jock itch.i occasionally have the itching sensation near my groin..but there isnt any rash and the skin seems normal...I've used clotrimazole combination earlier to get rid of jock itch.so i want to get rid of dark skin due to hyper pigmentation now as my genitals and the surrounding areas look dark..I read an article about tri-luma cream online...so can i use it near my penis..is that cream combination safe? does it give any side effects? how long will i have to be using it and could you even specify me the dosage..Can u suggest me any other cream?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Tri-Luma cream is used only in treatment of Melasma, it is not be used in other hyper-pigmentation areas especially like genital areas in the body. The side effects of this cream are redness, peeling, burning, dryness and itching may occur. TRI-LUMA (hydroquinone 4% cream) Cream, a combination drug product contains corticosteroid, retinoid, and bleaching agent.

So I suggest, you do not use it. You can however use Mederma cream over the area. Also frequent friction and jocks itch can cause pigmentation. Use only cotton underclothes and keep the area dry, use a talcum powder over the area and also use soap like X-Mark which will reduce pigmentation.

Do not use any creams or tablets without doctor’s prescription, this will only aggravate the condition. If the pigmentation does not reduce you will need to get examined by a Dermatologist.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Hyperpigmentation due to jock itch. Can Tri-Luma cream be used to get rid of dark skin near penis? 2 days later
how long do i have to use mederma cream? how many times a day?

Answered by Dr. Radhika 17 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

You can use Mederma thrice daily. You can use for 3-6 months to see results. Keep the area dry and use only cotton under clothes.

Regards.