Hyperacidity, taken Omez D, Aciloc, Rantac, Histac for many years. Risk of bone fracture or osteoporosis?

Question
Hello....I am a female 33 years old.....I have hyperacidity trouble....I take Antacids available in market....like Omez d,aciloc.rantac,histac etc....I have read on net that antacids are Proton-pump inhibitors and H2 blockers and there long term use is associated with increased risk of bone fractures (hip fracture ).I have been taking antacids since very long time (many years). Am I at risk of bone fractures (Osteoporosis). Are the bones of my body influenced in anyway due to prolonged use of antacids.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Osteoporosis

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Hello

The drugs used to decrease the gastric acidity- H2 blockers and proton pump inhibitors- do reduce the gastric acidity and thus reduce the calcium absorption from the stomach but the calcium metabolism and bone mineral density is dependent on multiple factors in our body.

Daily regular use for more than 10 years might cause some reduction in bone mineral density causing fractures.

You can monitor your bone mineral density by doing bone density index from a laboratory to see how much rarefaction of bone has been caused in all these years.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Hyperacidity, taken Omez D, Aciloc, Rantac, Histac for many years. Risk of bone fracture or osteoporosis? 2 hours later
Doctor is the density of bone only influenced due to prolonged use of antacids...OR the structure (anatomy) of bones is also influenced. I am asking this question because I have to undergo FACE ANALYSIS TEST which uses FACIAL and CRANIAL BONES as Landmarks. Certain points on facial and cranial bones are used as landmarks....does the position of these landmarks change do to prolonged use of antacids in me. In this test they will compare my two pics differing by 5 years from each other (one pic of 2005 and other pic of 2010). Will there be some difference in them due to prolonged use of antacids.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Prolonged use of these drugs is not likely to alter the bone structure or the bony landmarks. So you can relax in this regard. It can only alter the bone density that too slightly.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Regards.