Hyper-extended wrist, bruised and swollen. Been wearing splint on thumb and using heat. Why is it still bruised?

I fell on a hyperextended wrist 5 weeks ago. Bruised and swelled immediately, with significant pain. Scaphoid fracture negative.The ER PA xrayed and splinted. Xray 2 weeks later negative. Have been wearing thumb spika splint, icing and using heat. It is still bruised, swollen and tender--and I can't extend/flex more than 15-20 degrees without pain. I am one of those hyperlimber people; normal flexion/extension at least 90 degrees. Have excruciating pain with certain movements but nothing with other movements. E.g., placing stress on fingernails when wrist is minimally flexed is extremely painful on distal surface of wrist. Had sharp, burning, regular, throbbing pain last night unrelated to movement XXXXXXX in mid wrist (1.5 inches below palmar crease) that lasted a minute or so. OKAY, my question--can't get in to see a specialist for 6 weeks. Should I immobilize or try for more ROM?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum ,

The symptoms you described suggest that there could be ligament injury ( interconnecting fibrous bands between bones ) .

The restriction in the movements with excruciating is due to pain and the swelling caused by the inflammation of the torn ligaments . NSAID's such as Ibuprofen have antiinflammatory action and they can be used for treatment of the pain. You may use Ibuprofen 400mg tablets twice a day after a meal for few days.

Do not force the movements as stretching the ligaments further can lead to more damage and thereby more pain. On the contrary strict immobilization is essential till there is improvement from swelling and pain. Continue with splinting as advised by your doctor. It may take about 6 to 8 weeks for complete recovery and even more if the injury was a severe one.

ROM can be started once the swelling and pain comes down.

Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX com,

I will be available to answer your follow up query if you have any other query.

Take care , bye