Hymen still intact after years of marriage. How is impregnation possible? Other techniques?

Hi ,
We have been married for almost 2.5 years . I am 32 years and my wife is 27 years old .We had visited a gynecologist about three months back and post the examination she informed us that we were not having sex properly and hymen is intact (this was put to us in very rude way by the doctor) . Post this visit both of us are not comfortable in initiating sex and have this weird feeling in back of our mind and this is hampering our daily activities .
We would need advice how to go about and have a child at the earliest . let us know if there are any other techniques to help us conceive earliest and get over this as this is affecting our daily routine and work front .

Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I can appreciate your concern.

In medical terms, this is known as unconsummated marriage. This is not uncommon.

There is a curtain like structure guarding the vaginal opening in females. This is broken during the first penetrative act. Your doctor on examination has found out that this hymen is not broken even after 2.5 years of marriage.

The reasons for this could be many like, lack of proper knowledge, stress, lack of privacy, etc.

Please do not get disturbed and consult a qualified sexologist in your city. He will guide you properly and you too can have normal sex life. I do think there is any need of getting impatient.

Please be careful while choosing the doctor, mostly psychiatrist and physicians are practicing as sexologist.

You have got time your side. I think the things should be fine with counselling and removing some fears in your mind.

I would like again stress on the point that you are not alone, this happens to many couples.

Please maintain a healthy life style,

Take good diet.
Do regular exercise.
Watch your weight.
Avoid any thing in haste.
Try enjoying the act rather then worrying about the out come.
Try to find some good books which can give you some more idea.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have any other query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Hymen still intact after years of marriage. How is impregnation possible? Other techniques? 31 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for reply .

Need clarity on the qualified sexologist that you have mentioned .

Also advice if artificial insemination is an alternate for us in current scenario as we need to have the child at the earliest .

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 10 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Why I stress upon qualified, because there are lots of bogus doctors are practicing and they claim to have solutions for everything, you need to keep your self away from such kind of people.

Your family doctor can definitely help you in suggesting good sexologist in your city. Sexologist are in most of the cases are psychiatrist or physicians with specialization in this field. They are of immense help in cases like yours.

You can also consult a Urologist, if you are having any problem in getting erection or maintain it.

Artificial insemination can definitely help in your case. For this you need to first get your semen examination done and your wife get examined by a gynecologist to see that rest of things are normal.

Your gynecologist can help you with this. Please discuss this with him or her.

I can understand your feelings of having a child at the earliest, but do not ignore this issue as well. Normal sex life is an essential part of marriage life.

Wishing you all the best.

Follow-up: Hymen still intact after years of marriage. How is impregnation possible? Other techniques? 14 hours later
Hi ,

Thanks for the reply .

Last question i would like to know the timeline involved in getting results via artificial insemination .

Will work on the advice provided by you .

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

For artificial insemination some primary preparation are needed like,

>Semen examination
>Ovulation study,this helps in deciding the ideal time for the procedure
>On the day of procedure sample of semen is collected and prepared in laboratory and the doctor puts that sample in the uterus.

Rest of things are same as in natural course.

The success rate depends upon lots of factors and varies from patient to patient basis.You may get result in the first cycle it self.

Wishing you all the best.