Husband's sperm count is 20million. What are the chances of having baby?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
My husband has a sperm count of 20million with 42%active movement, 24% sluggish and 32% dead, is this good or bad?
What are chances of having a baby?
Do l have to pay for an answer

Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi,

the normal values of semen analysis should be,
sperm count-15 to 20 million/ml
total sperm count-around 39 million/ejaculate
active motility- 50% should be progressively motile
vitality- more than 75% to be alive

so your husband's sperm count is almost normal, but motility and vitality is less, so better let him consult XXXXXXX and get examined to find out the cause for the problem and treatment can be taken according to that,
if the parameters improve the chance of pregnancy also increases.

Normal FSH level is usually between 3 mIU/ml to 10 mIU/ml,
Levels more than 12mIU/ml suggest impaired ovarian reserve, but levels can be artificially raised because of ovulation induction drugs like clomiphene, so you check for that history

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Husband's sperm count is 20million. What are the chances of having baby? 39 minutes later
Thankyou very much for your reply.

My last recorded FSH levels were at 13 and 15. The doctor felt these were not good. I feel tho that because these blood tests were taken straight after my operation to remove endometriosis which was situated on my ovaries then because my ovaries were extensively operated on this could have caused them to elevate whilst they recover?. Prior to this a year before my FSH levels were fine.Can this happen?

In terms of my husband his sperms volume was 1ml is this sufficient sperm to have ejaculated? My husband also ejaculates very quickly during sex, probabaly only lasting 30seconds, can this cause problems too?

Is all this confidential may l ask?

Thanku very much.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later
hi,

sometimes in ovarian endometriosis elevated levels of FSH can be seen, as you measured levels immediately after surgery that may one reason for your high FSH levels,
you can repeat the test with your doctor's advice.

in 1ml of volume 20 million sperms can be taken as normal only.
theoretically it is said that if man ejaculates within 2 minutes of penetration that can be taken as premature ejaculation which can affect the quality of sperm,
so better to consult XXXXXXX once regarding these issues.

all your information and conversation will be confidential.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Husband's sperm count is 20million. What are the chances of having baby? 8 hours later
Thankyou very much for your reply.

I still have a number of questions l will be addressing to you over the next few weeks.

This month l used ovulation predictor tests to test for ovulation. I got a near positive on day 12 and 13 and by day 14 it had turned negative again. Also on day 12 and 13 l had egg white cervical mucus. Because the ovulation test turned negative on day 14 and my egg white mucus had disappeared to does this mean ovulation occurred on day 14?

Secondly, l would like to know that can egg white cervical mucus and a positive ovulation test be seen and still ovulation not occur for sum reason?

Thirdly, over the last few years my facial hair has gone from zero (clear face) to a very hairy face and also new hairs can be seen to. Wot does this mean, is it my endometriosis, my FSH or sum other reason for this?

Thanku.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
hi,

-as ovulation kit detects LH surge which usually occurs around 36 to 48 hours before ovulation, it is possible that you had ovulation on 14th,

-usually cervical mucus and positive ovulation test can most possibly predict ovulation but sometimes false positive results can also be seen like if you use concentrated urine etc,

-excessive unwanted hair is called hirsutism it can be seen in conditions like poly cystic ovarian disease, in this condition the ratio of LH and FSH will be more than 1:1, it can be diagnosed by ultrasound,
can also be seen in androgen producing tumors but don't worry that is rare possibility.

Follow-up: Husband's sperm count is 20million. What are the chances of having baby? 1 hour later
Thanku for your reply.

in regards to premature ejaculation what issues can this cause with fertility, quality and quantity of sperm, and how long do the sperm stay inside of u?

Thanks

Also my questions and answers wont appear on the website will they? I do not wish this and require 100% confidentiality. The reason l am asking this is on the website l can read some of the questions and answers people have asked, why is this?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi,

if premature ejaculation occurs,
-before penetration,
-in association with erectile dysfunction,
it can affect fertility.

theoretically sperm can stay 6 to 7 days inside female genital tract in it receives nutrition from cervical mucous etc,

questions and answers appear in site, if you want to maintain confidentiality better don't mention your name and address.