Hurting tonsils, throat and lungs for a week now, joint pain also. Why is it ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my tonsils have been hurting for a few weeks and my throat hurts very little and my lungs have been hurting alittle and alot of my joints have been hurting for weeks today i started getting a cough and my thoaght is hurting more and the lungs have been hurting more to
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Cough associated with pain in throat and lungs and joint ache is likely to be associated with a viral infection of the chest and throat.
Immune abnormalities and allergic causes can also lead to such symptoms.
In most of the cases improvement is seen on giving symptomatic treatment with regular mild pain killers, steam inhalation and nutritional supplements.
For persistent pain in throat and lungs, superadded bacterial infection needs to be ruled out after a throat examination and throat swab culture.
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2)For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids.
3)Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4)Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must to get relief and you can start taking them in consultation with your physician who will tell you the most appropriate schedule for you after proper examination.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.